Monday, July 5, 2010

Irish Golden White Wine Pickles

Burpees Golden are a heritage beetroot, but are golden in colour.
Roasted they are milder and sweeter than red beets.

A Victorian variety of beetroot bred by the old American seedhouse Burpee.
The roots are orange-yellow in colour and turn to a deeper golden yellow when cooked.





They don't bleed and stain like red beetroot. Young leaves can be eaten as baby leaves.

The small beets can be used as salad beetroot and then of course the mature beets can be used in salads or cooked as a vegetable.
Eat raw grated, boiled, roasted or pickled.

This pickle was kind of a mistake, I was making up a pickle mix with what I thought was a cider vinegar, but it turns out it was a white wine vinegar.
It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

As with the malt and mustard pickle I roasted the beets instead of boiling them.
From what I can gather on the net, boiling this type can drain all the colour from them.

They came out of the oven a lovely dark yellow.I was worried I would not have enough of them to pack out the jar, so I threw a small Stuttgarter onion from the garden in with the packet.

The pickle mix for 1 jar was:
150ml White Wine Vinegar
100ml Water
4 tbl spoon sugar
1 tbl spoon sea salt (try to get non-iodized salt with no anti-caking agent)
1 tbl spoon honey
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
2 teaspoon dill seeds
4 cloves
5 whole pepper corns
2 cardamom pods
2 cloves garlic
1/2 stick Cinnamon
1/2 green chili
1 cm ginger
1 cm horseradish root.
Fennel trimming root

In the jar I put
1/2 green chili
1 clove garlic
fennel trimming leaves
1 cardamom pod
2cm horseradish root
1cm ginger root.

All the rest was as with the malt and mustard pickle, check it out for advice, links and a step by step on pickling.

It should be interesting, but regardless of how it turns out, it looks lovely in the bottle.








Free Stats Hit Counter Web 
Analytics

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love pickles so much, any excuse to get some vinegar in me! I might give these a go, although I'm ashamed to say I only got my first batch of beetroot of the year going a few days ago so we'll have to see if I get any first :@ I made a jewish pickled turnip last year which was pretty mad, good though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - its cool that you took the time